Smart-phones are just small computers with telephone functionality built-in. Just like any computer they require software that makes the computer work called an operating system, examples: Windows, Mac OS X and Linux.
Android & iOS
The two main operating systems (OS for short) are Android and iOS on iPhones. Both of these very popular OSs are based on Unix like operating systems; Linux for Android and Free BSD for iOS. Linux and Android are open source however Google Mobile Services (Maps, Drive, Calendar, Gmail, Photos, etc.) are the property of Google. Free BSD is open source but the source for iOS is very proprietary.
Free BSD and Linux has been beat on and tested for years and years. They have been pounded on and test so much they are nearly security problem free. Unix and Unix like OSs being developed for mission critical applications were built from the ground up to be secure. The only problems have been with some of the new code being introduced by Google, Apple and third party developers. Apple’s iOS protects you more by only allowing you to install only approved applications downloaded from their App Store unless you apply a hack called Jailbreaking. Android by default disallows you from installing non-approved applications but this can be easily turned off in the Settings.
Many of the same or similar apps can be installed on both operating systems but frequently Android has more functionality because Apple does not allow access of much of their hardware by third-party applications.
My Favorite Android Apps
- Open Camera is and open-source photo application that enables you to manual control focus and exposure and lots more.
- Evernote – Organize everything notes, photos, links, bills, invoices, audio clips, video clips, PDFs, web-clippings and much more.
- Waze is the world’s largest community-based traffic and navigation app.
- Duolingo – Learn English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Dutch, Irish, Danish, Swedish, Russian, Ukrainian, Esperanto, Polish and Turkish — It’s fast, fun and free.
- LastPass is a password manager and password generator that locks your passwords and personal information in a secure vault.
- IMDb is the world’s largest collection of movie, TV, and celebrity info.
- WiFi Analyzer – Turns your android phone into a Wi-Fi analyzer!
- Feedly is a single place to easily read all the news you rely on to think, learn, and keep ahead.
There are many others to numerous to list.